WANTED: Vocal Deep House Loving – Ninja Sound Geek/Mix Engineer
Hi! My name is Anja.
I’m a vocalist and songwriter from the Netherlands and I’m looking for an awesome beatmaker/groove-ninja/producer/audiophile/mix engineer/tech whizzkid to help take my music to the next level.
I would describe the sound I want to create as soulful, groovy, poppy, dirty, melodic, warm, vocal deep house.
Here are a few songs/artists that I want to end up sounding like, obviously blended with my own unique flavor.
Gorgon City – Elevate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns6cC_N-bLE
Disclosure – What’s In Your Head: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qcm0YrzWMdw
Linden Jay –Be Like You: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYj9DgugOWg
Fawks, Mediciennes: Say You Like It: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TIaS8rLhJE
Anton Ishutin – Kick it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5DvUcvgXhs
MO, Kant Remix – Walk This Way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_WVmdB0FXc
In the past year I’ve been creating demos that you can listen to on my Soundcloud. I’m still learning and my creative ideas don’t always turn out the way I hear them in my head, but this will give you an indication of my style so far:
- I’m good at soulful house vocals, lyrics, coming up with vocal / instrumental hooks, fleshing out basic arrangements, performing live and the marketing side of things. I’m driven and determined to turn my passion into a business eventually and will continuously be improving my skills in all of these areas.
- I’m not very good at and/or interested in the technical aspects of producing. To put it bluntly, I really can’t be fucked to play around with release times on reverbs or attack settings on compressors, let alone mess with hardware, even though I know how important all of these things are. Let’s say if I never have to touch an equalizer ever again in my life, I will be a happy person.
- You are a highly skilled beatmaker/groove-ninja/producer/audiophile/mix engineer/tech whizzkid.
- You are excited about the sound I want to create and hear potential in my demos.
- You’re happy to be an essential technical backbone of a musical act (with proper credits of course) but not the face of it.
- You’re happy to chime in with creative ideas when you have them, but are also happy to leave the final creative decisions with me.
- You have a decent studio and geek out over replacing my demo VST sounds with the much better hardware synths / gear you have lying around.
- You are a kind, honest, positive, driven person.
- You can be anywhere in the world and we can collab remotely.
My Ideal Workflow:
- I send you a new musical idea, which could be a sample with some vocals, a verse-chorus-bridge loop or a full demo arrangement.
- You polish it up, enhance the programming and the sounds, the effects, the mix — whatever stands out to you as needing to be upgraded while keeping the core musical idea intact — and send it back to me.
- We send each other the project back and forth a few times per month like that where I am mostly in charge of the creative aspects and you of the technical ones and we finish tracks like this super quickly while feeding off our different strengths.
- Every month I want to release 1 or 2 tracks on my own bandcamp (initially) which I will then use to build a social media marketing strategy around. In the past months, I’ve already been blogging and vlogging on a small scale, but I haven’t been focused on growing my audience yet as I want to improve the quality of my music first.
- My plan is to focus on building an online audience and I will use my online marketing and advertising knowledge (from my day job) to do so. In the future I would love turn it into a live festival act as well, but if you don’t want to be part of that or if it’s not practical because we live too far apart, that’s totally OK. For now, it’s mostly about creating the right sound.
To summarize I’m essentially looking for a “technical band member in the background”. This could be a passion project for you where you get quite involved in, but if you’re reading this as a professional mix engineer I’m also more than happy to pay you for your ongoing help and expertise. The point is that it has to be the right fit.
The most important thing for me is that you have the NINJA tech skills that I don’t (aim to) have, love this style of music, resonate with this workflow and feel genuinely motivated to help take my music to the next level.
If this speaks to you and you recognize yourself in the person I’ve described, please send an email to hello[at]anjakicken.com or message me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/anjakickenofficial/.
Please tell me about yourself, your experience and include some links to your work.
I look forward to hearing from you 🙂