I’m officially gonna stop using sounds called “Kitchen_Utensils_2718_abX.WAV” in my music.
Something weird keeps happening in the process of me analyzing music in an attempt to learn from it.
It goes something like this:
- Yeah, that’s alright, that offbeat hat in the reference track – but I’m gonna create a much more interesting pattern. Just you wait.
- Yeah, that’s alright, that that’s effectively 1 bass note in the reference track – but I’m gonna create at least 27. Just you wait.
- Yeah, that’s alright, that they’re using a typical deep housey stab sound in the reference track – but me here? I’m in fact gonna create stabs with a found sound called “Kitchen_Utensils_2718_abX.WAV because well, that’s WUHAY more interesting of course 🙄.
Just you wait.
JUST YOU WAIT…until with all of your originalness you start trying to make it sound good together and you start noticing:
- Hey, WAIT…this odd hat pattern is completely drowning out every other element?
- Hey, WAIT…this bass loop doesn’t make sense with the rest of the tune at all?
- Hey, WAIT…WTF is this stab sound even? Who even makes stabs sounds from kitchen appliances??
Just you wait until FOREVAH…because you’re trying to do the weird shit, when you don’t yet master the basic shit.
And that means you’re actually never going to pop out a badass SIMPLE tune – let alone a masterpiece.
I am stating it right now.
I am officially done with trying to be original at the expense of my own learning!
I’m applying to Overcomplicators Anonymous.
Although stating it on this page may not entirely count as Anonymous.
But fuck it.
Who’s with me? Is there anything you need to uncomplicate and un-weird in your life?